Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States
Effective January 1, 2012, all students applying for in-state tuition must provide validation of lawful presence in the United States. The following documents will serve as proof of lawful presence in the United States and documentation will be required before you are eligible for consideration of in-state tuition:
- A current Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current Driver’s License or ID issued by a state that verifies immigration status and only issues to persons lawfully present in the United States.
- A certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- An approved completed FAFSA for the current financial aid year.
- A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form 1-151 or 1-551).
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
- A current U.S. Passport or a current U.S. Passport card.
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
If you have submitted Verification of Lawful Presence and you still wish to qualify for another type of residency you must complete a Petition for Change of Residency Classification form and submit all required documentation. Changes to residency classification are for future terms only and will not result in refunds to students.