Lawful Presence and Residency

Chattahoochee Tech logo

Lawful Presence

Any student requesting to pay at the in-state tuition rate will be required to provide verification of their lawful presence in the United States. A student who cannot be verified as lawfully present in the United States is not eligible to be considered for in-state tuition, regardless of how long he or she has lived in Georgia. In addition to verifying lawful presence, students must meet the in-state tuition requirements as outlined in TCSG Board Policy and Procedure V.B.3 to warrant an in-state classification.

How can a student verify lawful presence?

Students should submit one of the following documents – which must not expire prior to the first day of the term for which the document is being submitted – on campus to Admissions or submit them using our document upload form:

  • An unexpired Georgia or select out-of-state driver’s license or state-issued ID card. The license or ID must not contain any restrictions.
  • A clear copy of an original or certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory, a U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350), or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240). 
  • A current U.S. Passport.
  • A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551). (Both front and back of the card must be submitted.)
  • A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
  • A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).

Students may also do the following to verify lawful presence:

  • Notify Admissions that you have filed a FAFSA, as it may be possible to verify lawful presence based on this information.
  • Present your unexpired military ID – service member only, not dependent – to Admissions. (We are not allowed to make photocopies of military IDs.)

If you have questions about verification of lawful presence, contact your Admissions Counselor.

Residency Changes

Students that are currently listed as Out of State and have now lived in Georgia for the past 12 consecutive months may submit a Residency Petition.

This form is not a financial aid form and in no way guarantees financial aid eligibility.

Students may petition their residency status for a future term or a current term, provided that the completed petition is submitted by the end of the Drop/Add Period of the current term.

New students that are applying for the first time should not use this form unless directed to do so. New students should be submitting their lawful presence documentation as part of the admissions process.

To begin, select your student type:

Independent Student:

  • 24 years old or older
  • Under 24 years old and a parent did NOT claim you on their most recent tax return.

Dependent Student:

  • Under 24 years old and a parent did claim you on their most recent tax return.
News and Updates