About Disability Support Services – New Student

Chattahoochee Tech logo

Disability Support Services (DSS) are available for those students who have a disability as defined by Section 504 of the Civil Rights Act of 1974 and the Americans with Disabilities Act and its Amendments. DSS provides students who have a documented disability with accommodations, academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids to allow them to be successful students at Chattahoochee Technical College.

The purpose of Disability Support Services (DSS) is to assist students with disabilities be successful in their studies at Chattahoochee Technical College, providing services and advocacy for students with disabilities. Once documentation is received, this office works with faculty and staff to help them meet the student’s needs.

This office is responsible for ADA compliance.

A person with a disability is any person who:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one of more major life activities including walking, talking, seeing, hearing, breathing, learning and working.
  • Has a record of such impairment.
  • Is regarded as having such impairment.

Assistance is available for students with temporary or permanent physical or mental impairments. The person must meet the academic and technical standards required for admission or participation in a program of study with or without reasonable accommodations.

Some examples of disabilities:

  • Deaf and Hard of Hearing
  • Blind or Visual Impairments
  • Mobility Impairment
  • Learning Disability
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)/Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Psychological Disorder
  • Acquired Brain Injuries
  • Other Health Impaired

As a student enrolled in Disability Support Services, here is a list of Student Responsibilities.

Grievance Procedure

If students with disabilities are dissatisfied with their accommodations or have an issue with the Director of Disability Support Services (Caitlin Barton, Caitlin.Barton@ChattahoocheeTech.edu), they should first discuss the matter with her directly. If they are still dissatisfied, they should submit a 504 Complaint via the Concerns and Complaints webpage.

News and Updates