Information about this exciting field:
Paramedicine offers an exciting and challenging career within the Emergency Medical Services field. Paramedics are vital members of the quick-response healthcare team, providing an advanced level of care in the pre-hospital environment under the direction of a physician. Paramedics prioritize patient needs and perform patient assessment, providing advanced life support in situations where trauma, respiratory, diabetic, behavioral, cardiac, allergic, poisoning, and childbirth emergencies might exist. They could be called up to initiate endotracheal intubation, intravenous therapy, medication administration, cardiac rhythm interpretation, and defibrillation, where indicated.
Is this program for me?
The Paramedicine program provides intense classroom and laboratory academic preparation as well as dynamic coordinative clinical and field experiences. Students attain the skills and knowledge necessary to perform successfully in the field of Paramedicine. This program provides students who hold a current certification or licensure as an EMT (with AEMT coursework completed)/EMT-I 85/AEMT levels to advance their skills to the paramedic level. Upon successful completion of the diploma program, students will receive a Diploma in Paramedicine. Upon successful completion of this degree program, students will receive an Associate of Applied Science in Paramedicine. Here are some qualities and skills exhibited by successful Emergency Medical Services professionals:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Remain calm in high-stress situations
- Astute observation: good eyesight, hearing, eye-hand coordination
- Make quick critical decisions
- Strong sense of responsibility
- Clear communication
- Precise documentation
- Ability to lead as well as to follow detailed directions
- Ability to operate medical equipment
- Physically fit
Paramedicine occupational courses will be completed in four (4) semesters.
- Paramedic Program Admission Information Spring 2019
- Paramedic Spring Admission Points Spring 2019
- Paramedicine Application Sessions Spring 2019
- Current Paramedics Seeking an Associate’s Degree – New
Students should contact a Health Sciences Advisor with questions about admission criteria or to schedule an advisement appointment.
Program prerequisite courses are offered at multiple campuses and online. Paramedicine occupational courses are offered at the North Metro Campus.
Ryan Dehnert, B.S., NRP