Information about this exciting field:
Surgical Technologists play a key role, under medical supervision, in a variety of surgical settings, ensuring that each surgery runs safely, effectively, and hygienically. Surgical Technologists may perform a wide range of tasks, ranging from passing surgical instruments/supplies to the surgeon during surgery and counting supplies/instruments (pre-op and post-op) to preparing sterile dressings and maintaining a highly sterile field during each operation.
Is this program for me?
It is important that Surgical Technology students understand the daily working conditions they will experience upon successful completion of this demanding program: unpleasant sights and smells, exposure to infectious diseases, knowing that mistakes can prove fatal. However, the rewards of the job are significant: positive patient outcomes, lack of boredom via new cases and daily challenges, high job security. A clinical rotation at a hospital is a vital part of the Surgical Technology students’ educational experience. Surgical Technology graduates are eligible to sit for the national certification examination. Here are some qualities and skills exhibited by successful Surgical Technologists:
- Excellent recordkeeping
- Detail oriented/highly organized and accurate
- Safety conscious
- Cooperative teamwork
- Physical stamina and manual dexterity
- Understanding of biology, anatomy, physiology, medical terminology
- Ability to correctly identify surgical instrumentation and equipment
- Strong communication skills
Program Outcome Data
The following information is regarding performance of the graduates of the Chattahoochee Technical College Surgical Technology Program on the Certification Surgical Technologist (CST) Exam.
Surgical Technology occupational courses will be completed in three (3) semesters.
- Surgical Technology Program Admission Information Fall 2021
- Surgical Technology Admission Points Fall 2021
- Register for Surgical Technology (ST) Virtual Application Session Fall 2021
- Health Sciences Virtual Application Session Q&A
- ATI TEAS Testing
Students should contact a Health Sciences Advisor with questions about admission criteria or to schedule an advisement appointment.
Program prerequisite courses are offered at multiple campuses and online. Surgical Technology occupational courses are offered at the North Metro Campus.
Mary Jo Bergman BS, CST