Information about this exciting field:
Physical Therapist Assistants (PTAs) provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist. Employing the knowledge of the patient’s condition, the PTA performs hands-on treatments utilizing therapeutic exercises, manual therapy, pain relieving modalities and other functional activities. A PTA must use critical thinking and problem solving skills on a daily basis to treat a variety of patients of all ages and cultural backgrounds. The PTA must also possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact appropriately with patients, families, coworkers and other healthcare providers.
Is this program for me?
- Are you interested in how the human body works and moves?
- Do you want to interact directly with patients?
- Are you interested in a hands-on career?
- Are you an effective and compassionate communicator?
- Do you have the physical strength and stamina to keep a patient safe?
- Can you motivate people?
- Are you able to follow detailed directions?
Program Outcome Data
- Graduation Rate 2018-2019 (most recent 2-year average) = 88%
- Licensure Exam Time Pass Rate 2018 – 2019 = 100%
- First Time Pass rate 2018-2019 = 97%
- Employment Rate: w/i 6 months of graduation 2018 – 19 (most recent 2 yrs) =100%
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment is expected to grow much faster than average because of increasing demand for physical therapy services. Job prospects for physical therapist assistants are expected to be very good. Earnings for a physical therapist assistant depend on the practice setting, years of experience, and geographic location. Median annual earnings nationally of physical therapist assistants in 2010 were $49,690. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $31,070, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $68,820. Source: U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-2013 Edition (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes312021.htm)
Physical Therapist Assistant occupational courses will be completed in four (4) semesters.
- PTA Program Admission Information Fall 2021
- PTA Admission Points Fall 2021
- Register for PTA Virtual Application Session Fall 2021
- Health Sciences Virtual Application Session Q&A
- ATI TEAS Testing
Students should contact a Health Sciences Advisor with questions about admission criteria to schedule an advisement appointment.
Program prerequisite courses are offered at multiple campuses and online. Physical Therapist Assistant occupational courses are offered at the North Metro Campus.
<Aaron Freeman, PT, DPT