In an attempt to provide the opportunity for students to omit some Learning Support classes from their requirements, we offer COMPASS retest sessions for current students.
Effective January 6, 2012, current students will have the opportunity to retake any portion of the COMPASS test under the following conditions:
- Must be a current student at CTC.
- Most recent test (excluding exit tests) for desired section must be at least three months old. There must be 3 months between test attempts for same section.
- Must have less than 5 total attempts for the desired section (excluding exit test attempts taken as part of learning support classes). Once 5 attempts have been taken on a particular section, a student is no longer eligible to retest for that section until expiration date.
- Must register no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday prior to the desired Friday test date. No walk-ins will be accepted on test day. No exceptions.
- Must pay a non-refundable $15 testing fee, per test, as established annually by TCSG and CTC.
- Must present Chattahoochee Student ID, receipt of payment, and Confirmation/Approval email at the testing session. Entry will be denied if required documents are not provided.
- NOTE: Please be aware that withdrawing from any class will affect your satisfactory academic progress (SAP). Student will be responsible for contacting financial aid office for additional information.
Who may take a COMPASS Retest?
- Must be a currently registered student.
- Have not attempted the desired section within the past three months (excluding exit tests).
- Have less than 5 attempts on the desired section (excluding exit test attempts for a Learning Support class).
- Students who have already attempted a specific section of the COMPASS test 5 times are not eligible for a retest on that section. A maximum of 5 attempts (not including exit tests) will be allowed per section.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does the test take? Most students complete the test within 1-2 hours.
- May I take more than one test at a time? No. Only one section of the test can be taken on a given test date, so plan in advance. No exceptions.
- Will HOPE or Pell pay for the test? No. Cost will be an out-of-pocket expense for the student.
- Are there study guides available for the tests? No; however, there are some practice websites. A list of the websites can be obtained from the Success Center on any campus.
- How long does it take to get the results? The results are immediate upon completion of the test. Scores will be entered into Banner within 2 business days of the test date.
- How will I find out the results of the test? You will receive a copy of the test results at the completion of your test session.
- What happens if I score the required score to exempt the Learning Support classes? If currently enrolled in a learning support class, you will need to decide whether you want to withdraw from that course (if the withdrawal date has not passed) or complete the course and earn a grade.
- If I withdraw from my current learning support class, will it affect my academic progress? Withdrawing from any class will affect your satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirement. For questions about your SAP, you should contact the financial aid office.
- If I pass the test during the retest session, can my failing grade for the learning support class be changed to a passing grade? No. The Compass Retest is a separate exam from the learning support class exit test requirements, and will have no effect on the grades earned in learning support classes. Passing the Compass Retest may allow you to continue to the next course level in registration, but will have no effect on grades issued in a learning support class.
To register for the exam:
- Follow the instructions found on THIS PAGE (click the link).
- If approved, you will receive a confirmation/approval email. Print the confirmation email and present it at a cashier’s window on the campus of your choice along with the required testing fee of $15.
Testing Day Requirements:
- The COMPASS Retest will be given on the first Friday of each month at 9:00am only at Marietta campus. Entry to the test will be denied at 9:10am.
- No walk-ins will be allowed on test day. No exceptions.
- Bring Chattahoochee Student ID, confirmation email and your payment receipt to the testing session. Entry will be denied without these items.