Information about this exciting field:
There are few careers more noble or challenging than those associated with the field of Fire Science. There are few careers as stressful and demanding. Firefighters, fire inspectors, and fire investigators are in the business of protecting and preserving life; they protect the public from the danger of fires and other life-threatening emergencies. Firefighters endure extreme conditions while wearing, carrying, and operating heavy equipment.
Is this program for me?
From Psychology and Sociology to Hazardous Materials Operations and Fire Protection Systems, the Fire Science program covers a wide range of courses designed to provide firefighters with the knowledge and skills needed to advance in their field and hold positions of greater leadership and responsibility. Here are some qualities and skills exhibited by successful Fire Science graduates:
- Physically fit
- Calmness in high-stress situations
- Mentally alert/quick reflexes
- Make quick critical decisions
- Strong sense of responsibility
- Sharp vision (including colors)
- Clear communication
- Ability to follow detailed directions
- Strong interpersonal skills/teamwork
- Introduction to the Fire Service
- Firefighting Strategy and Tactics
- Fire Service Safety and Loss Control
- Fire and Arson Investigation
Note: This program is available, in whole or in part, online.
Where might I find a job?
Fire Science professionals may work as firefighters, investigators, instructors, or inspectors in the public or private sector.
Fire science courses are offered online.
- Kim Mullins