Information about this exciting field:
Surgical Technologists play a key role, under medical supervision, in a variety of surgical settings, ensuring that each surgery runs safely, effectively, and hygienically. Surgical Technologists may perform a wide range of tasks, ranging from passing surgical instruments/supplies to the surgeon during surgery and counting supplies/instruments (pre-op and post-op) to preparing sterile dressings and maintaining a highly sterile field during each operation.
Is this program for me?
It is important that Surgical Technology students understand the daily working conditions they will experience upon successful completion of this demanding program: unpleasant sights and smells, exposure to infectious diseases, knowing that mistakes can prove fatal. However, the rewards of the job are significant: positive patient outcomes, lack of boredom via new cases and daily challenges, high job security. A clinical rotation at a hospital is a vital part of the Surgical Technology students’ educational experience. Surgical Technology graduates are eligible to sit for the national certification examination. Here are some qualities and skills exhibited by successful Surgical Technologists:
- Excellent recordkeeping
- Detail oriented/highly organized and accurate
- Safety conscious
- Cooperative teamwork
- Physical stamina and manual dexterity
- Understanding of biology, anatomy, physiology, medical terminology
- Ability to correctly identify surgical instrumentation and equipment
- Strong communication skills
Where might I find a job?
Surgical Technologists may work in operating rooms, ambulatory surgical centers, central supply, labor and delivery areas, cardiac catheterization laboratories, private physicians’ offices, organ procurement organizations, and other areas where invasive procedures are performed.
Gainful Employment Report
Surgical Technology occupational courses will be completed in three (3) semesters.
- Surgical Technology Program Admission Information Fall Semester 2014
- Surgical Technology Application Session Dates Fall 2014
- Surgical Technology Admission Points Fall 2014
- Essential Functions for SURG 2013
- SURG FAQs
- TEAS/HOBET Testing Schedules
- **IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THIS PROGRAM**
Students should contact a Health Sciences Advisor with questions about admission criteria or to schedule an advisement appointment.
Program prerequisite courses are offered at multiple campuses and online. Surgical Technology occupational courses are offered at the North Metro Campus.
Lorraine Wilderman, RN, BSN, CNOR