Course credit awarded by other than satisfactory completion of a course at Chattahoochee Technical College may be earned as follows:
- Advanced Placement Credit
- Articulation/Tech Prep (Technical Advanced Placement) Credit
- College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) Credit
- Credit by Examination
- Credit by Transfer
- Military Credit (see Credit by Transfer)
Advanced Placement (AP) Credit
Students who receive a score of three (3) or higher on the College Board Advanced Placement (AP) test will be awarded appropriate credit. Official test scores should be mailed directly from the College Board to Chattahoochee Technical College’s Office of the Registrar. Students who have not received confirmation of credit prior to registration should contact the Office of the Registrar. Credit will be awarded for approved AP examinations pending review by the Registrar and appropriate faculty.
Articulation/Tech Prep Credit
Chattahoochee Technical College has agreed to award credit for certain competencies learned at an accredited Georgia high school. In order to receive this credit, the student must matriculate at Chattahoochee Technical College within 18 months of high school graduation. Articulated credit will be indicated on the transcript with the letters “AC”.
College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) Credit
Chattahoochee Technical College will award credit for a limited number of college level subject exams but does not award credit for the general exam. For credit to be granted, the scores received must be at the 50th percentile or higher and will be awarded for the following courses:
|Calculus with Elementary Function||MATH 1113|
|College Algebra||MATH 1111|
|College Algebra-Trigonometry||MATH 1111|
|English Composition||ENGL 1101|
|English Composition with Essay||ENGL 1101|
|General Chemistry||CHEM 1111|
|Human Growth & Development||PSYC 2103|
|Principles to Management||MGMT 100|
|Financial Accounting I||ACCT 1101|
|Introductory Business Law||MKTG 1130|
|Introductory Psychology||PSYC 1101|
|Introductory Sociology||SOCI 1101|
|Principles of Marketing||MKTG 1100|
Students wishing to earn CLEP or DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support) credit for any courses not listed above should check with the Office of the Registrar for any changes that may have been made to the policy.
Credit by Examination (Exemption Exam)
A currently enrolled or accepted program student may receive course credit by passing an examination if one is offered. The examination may be written and/or performance based and validates competencies in skills the student would obtain through actual enrollment in the course. Exemption exams will be given at least once per semester.
Exemption Exam Procedures
- To register for the exemption exam, students must contact the Office of Academic Affairs by the end of the second week of the semester on the Appalachian Campus, North Metro Campus, or Marietta Campus.
- A student cannot attempt to exempt a course in which he or she is currently enrolled. No exemption exam may be attempted more than once.
- A non-refundable fee not to exceed 25% of course tuition is charged for each exam. (The fee requirement is waived for eligible articulated secondary students) This fee must be paid prior to taking the exam, and a receipt for this fee must be presented to the examiner at the time of the exam.
- All exams are to be taken without any outside aids such as textbooks, notes, etc .
- A minimum score of 80% (85% for Allied Health courses) must be achieved to successfully exempt a course.
- If the student successfully exempts a course, a grade of “EX” will be assigned.
- If the student scores below 80% on the exemption exam, the student must enroll in the class; the student may not take the exemption exam again for that particular course.
- If the course being exempted by examination has a prerequisite course requirement, the prerequisite must be satisfied by either passing the exemption test, if available, or successfully passing the prerequisite course.
- Students will not be allowed to take exemption exams for previously attempted courses.
- Academic Affairs will notify the students of the results of the exams.
NOTE: The Office of Academic Affairs determines what courses are available for exemption testing. Financial Aid will not cover the cost of exemption exam fees.
Credit by Transfer
Chattahoochee Technical College recognizes previous postsecondary coursework from regionally or nationally accredited colleges that is applicable to a student’s program of study. A student who presents credit for evaluation and transfer should be aware that the awarding of credit does not guarantee that the college subsequently attended by the student will accept those credits. A student may receive credit for courses taken at another postsecondary institution by meeting the following criteria:
- The courses must meet the quality of standards established by Chattahoochee Technical College and should consist of essentially the same content as the courses at CTC.
- An official transcript from the institution attended is on file in the Office of Admissions, verifying a grade of C or better for each course being considered for transfer credit.
- There are no time limits on transferability of general education courses or other occupational courses not listed above.
- Transfer courses taken on the semester system will be awarded at the same credit hour earning.
- Transfer courses taken in a semester system will be awarded by the following conversion: semester hours multiplied by 1.5 will equal the semester hour award.
- No credit is awarded for learning support courses.
- Courses that do not have identical course identification codes, but include essential competency areas, may transfer upon approval from the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
Full credit will be awarded for courses taken under approved standards within the Technical College System of Georgia, provided the criteria listed above are met. Transfer of credit will be indicated on the student’s transcript with the letters TR. Grade points are not assigned to courses that are transferred. Chattahoochee Technical College reserves the right to review the credentials of faculty for the previously attended college as well as test the proficiency of students for course work that is transferred in. No more than 75% of the total required hours in any program will be approved for transfer credit.
Transfer credit for military service schools is awarded based on American Council of Education (ACE) recommendations as listed in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services and approval by the Registrar.
A student may receive or earn up to twenty five (25) semester credit hours through CLEP, AP, military, corporate, institutional, or other such examinations.
View more information about Credits Earned outside of CTC: Credits Earned Outside the College