Information about this exciting field:
Using sophisticated biomedical instrumentation and technology, Clinical Laboratory Technicians collect, process, and analyze biological specimens, perform laboratory procedures, maintain instrumentation, and report findings for various diseases or conditions. The Clinical Laboratory Technician is a vital part of the health care team that accurately identifies, treats, or prevents disease.
Clinical Laboratory Technology Mission Statement
The purpose of the Clinical Laboratory Technology Program is to provide students with career and economic opportunities in the field of laboratory medicine. This will be accomplished by facilitating the development of the individual’s knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary in becoming successful in the laboratory setting and meeting the demands of technical growth.
Is this program for me?
Clinical Laboratory Technicians (CLT’s) analyze body fluids such as blood, urine, and tissue samples to determine normal or abnormal findings. They perform clinical laboratory procedures in chemistry, blood banking, microbiology, immunology, hematology, coagulation and other areas of the clinical laboratory, developing data used by a physician to determine the presence and extent of disease, as well as monitoring the patient’s treatment.
CLT’s enjoy a fast-paced, interesting, and rewarding career. Program graduates are qualified as Clinical Laboratory Technicians and are eligible for certification. Here are some qualities and skills exhibited by successful Clinical Laboratory Technicians:
- Analytical/logical reasoning
- Precise and detailed oriented
- Clear communication
- Excellent record-keeping ability
- Ability to follow detailed directions in a timely manner
- Safety conscious
- Proficient at mathematics, chemistry, biology
- Ability to have motor skills capable of working with both patients and laboratory equipment
Clinical Laboratory Technician occupational courses will be completed in five (5) semesters.
Admission every Fall Semester.
- Clinical Laboratory Technology Program Admission Information Fall 2020
- Clinical Laboratory Technology Admission Points Fall 2020
- Register for a CLT Virtual Application Session Fall 2020
- Health Sciences Virtual Application Session Q&A
- Clinical Laboratory Technology Program Goals and Objectives
- Essential Functions
- ATI TEAS Testing
Students should contact a Health Sciences Advisor with questions about admission criteria or to schedule and advisement appointment.
Program prerequisite courses are offered at multiple campuses and online. Clinical Laboratory Technology occupational courses are offered at the Marietta Campus.
Robin Aiken, M.S.Ed., BSMT (ASCP)