Information about this exciting field:
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) work under the supervision of Registered Nurses and physicians to provide care and treatment of injured, ill, disabled, convalescent, and terminally ill patients. They may provide basic bedside care, from measuring vital signs to assisting patients with personal hygiene, dressing wounds, and maintaining patient records. LPN’s are viewed as valued members of the medical healthcare team.
Is this program for me?
The Practical Nursing program provides a strong foundation in the practice of nursing, preparing students to function safely within the framework of the practical nursing role. Nursing theory is integrated with clinical experiences to afford the greatest opportunity for students to become clinically competent. The curriculum incorporates effective therapeutic communication techniques, critical thinking skills, and the development of sound nursing judgment and technical skills. Program graduates receive a practical nursing diploma and are eligible to sit for the National Council Licensing Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). After successful completion of the NCLEX-PN examination, graduates are granted state licensure to practice nursing in Georgia as licensed Practical Nurses. Here are some qualities and skills exhibited by successful licensed Practical Nurses:
- Patience, empathy, and dedication
- Strong people skills
- Astute observation
- Clear communication
- Ability to follow detailed directions
- Excellent problem solving
- Physical strength and stamina
- Ability to properly use a wide variety of equipment
Where might I find a job?
Practical Nurses may work in physicians’ offices, hospitals, clinics, extended care facilities, hospices, governmental agencies, private industries, or the home health care field.
Gainful Employment Report
Practical Nursing occupational courses will be completed in three (3) semesters.
- CTC Nursing Education Options
- Practical Nursing Admission Information Fall Semester 2017 MARIETTA CAMPUS
- Practical Nursing Admission Points Fall 2017
- Practical Nursing Application Sessions Spring 2017 – Marietta Campus
- Practical Nursing Admission Information Spring 2017 MARIETTA CAMPUS update
- Practical Nursing Admission Points Spring 2017 Updated
- TEAS Testing Schedule
Students should contact a Health Sciences Advisor with questions about admission criteria or to schedule an advisement appointment.
Program prerequisite courses are offered at multiple campuses and online. Practical Nursing occupational courses are offered the Marietta Campus.
Shannon Ferdarko, RN, MSN