Information about this exciting field:
Health Care Assistants are important members of medical teams of varying sizes, depending upon the place of employment. They typically work alongside doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals to deliver and ensure quality patient care. Duties may range from caring for the hygienic needs of patients to preparing patients for various types of therapy to setting up medical equipment. The Health Care Assistant’s job is rarely the same from one day to the next. If you’d enjoy performing a variety of tasks throughout the day—and if you would love working with people—the Health Care Assistant program could be your first step toward a rewarding career!
Is this program for me?
Can you picture yourself in a busy work environment where you’re assisting patients who need acute medical care, who are facing health-related dilemmas, or who are dealing with the management of ongoing diseases, infirmities, or medical conditions? Can you remain positive and supportive in situations that, at times, may become demanding or stressful? Would you enjoy contributing to the comfort and well-being of a variety of people each day? If so, the Health Care Assistant program might be the right pick for you. Here are some qualities and skills exhibited by successful Health Care Assistants:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Clear communication
- Precise documentation
- Ability to follow detailed directions
- Ability to operate some medical equipment
- Physical stamina
The Health Care Assistant program allows students to complete pre-admission coursework for other programs at Chattahoochee Tech, such as:
- Practical Nursing
- Surgical Technology
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Emergency Medical Services Professions
Health Care Assistant Specialization Option:
- Nurse Assistant (CNA) – Marietta and North Metro Campuses
- Patient Care Technician (PCT) – North Metro Campus
Where might I find a job?
Health Care Assistants may work in hospitals, doctors’ offices, medical clinics, surgical centers, health departments, or extended care facilities.
Gainful Employment Report
- Nursing Assistant-Health Care Assistant (CNA) Registration Requirements Fall 2018
- Nursing Assistant (CNA) HOPE Career Grant-Eligible Registration Requirements Fall 2018
Patient Care Technician
- Patient Care Technician (PCT) Registration Requirements Spring 2018
- PCT Information Session Spring 2018
Students should contact a Health Sciences Advisor with questions about admission criteria or to schedule an advisement appointment.
Program prerequisite courses are offered at multiple campuses and online. Health Care Assistant occupational courses are offered at Marietta and North Metro campuses.