CTC Culinary Student holds award

Chattahoochee Tech Culinary Student Named National Finalist in Recipe Contest

Chattahoochee Technical College culinary student Richard Robinson was named one of four national finalists in the 2017 Maple Leaf Farms Discover Duck Chef Recipe Contest. Robinson was presented with a $500 award on Monday, Oct. 30 by Maple Leaf Farms Mid-Atlantic Sales Manager Greg Moore at the Chattahoochee Tech Mountain View Campus in Cobb County.

Culinary students and professional chefs from a wide range of food service segments across the nation participated in this year’s contest that required contestants to submit recipes that utilized duck legs or a duck leg product. The recipes were judged on flavor and creativity as well as accuracy and cooking methodology. Robinson submitted a recipe for Poached Pear Duck Salad with Orange Apple Cider Vinaigrette that Moore said succeeded in delighting the judges with its fresh, light flavors.

“I first heard about this competition back in May of 2016 through the National Restaurant Association show in Chicago,” said Robinson. “I’ve always wanted to challenge myself and get better as fast as possible. Though, not thinking I would win, I just wanted to compete for myself to at least say I did it and tried my best.”

Upon receiving the Maple Leaf Farms award, Robinson was eager to express gratitude for the culinary instructors at Chattahoochee Tech.

“They have all been so supportive of every student in the program,” said Robinson. “Our program is great and I would not have been able to do this any other way. It has been a privilege to be surrounded by people of such high caliber, and for that I thank you.”

In addition to being named as a finalist in the 2017 Maple Leaf Farms recipe competition, Robinson has been nominated by Chattahoochee Tech for Junior Member of the Year in the Atlanta chapter of the American Culinary Federation. Robinson, a graduate of Lassiter High School, is in his final semester at Chattahoochee Tech and is already putting his culinary expertise to work at the Cherokee Country Club while completing school.

Students in the Chattahoochee Technical College Culinary Arts degree program automatically qualify for the first level of American Culinary Federation certification. These students participate in hands-on skill development in classes that feature a small student to instructor ratio and state-of-the-art equipment. The Culinary Arts degree and diploma programs at Chattahoochee Tech are all accredited by the American Culinary Federation.

CTC culinary student holds award
Chattahoochee Tech Culinary Arts instructor Hillary Gallagher (left) and Maple Leaf Farms Mid-Atlantic Sales Manager Greg Moore (far right) congratulate Chattahoochee Tech culinary student Richard Robinson (center) for being named as a national finalist in the Maple Leaf Farms 2017 recipe contest.